Thinking of studying in Germany?
Berlin has the largest concentration of academic, scientific and research facilities in Europe, with an annual budget of 1.8 billion invested on these areas.
Four universities, three art colleges, an international business school, seven polytechnic institutions of higher education and more than 70 publicly financed non-university research institutes can be found in this city. Some 140,000 students are enrolled in Berlin’s colleges and universities; about 13% are from abroad.
Technische Universität Berlin - Technical University
With about 20% of Berlin’s student population, it is the second largest technical university in Germany, as well as the school with the second highest number of foreign college students. Its courses offer is broad, including humanities and social sciences.
Freie Universität Berlin - Free University
One of Germany’s largest universities (34,000 students), the Free University excels in humanities, medicine, social and natural sciences. The “Dahlem Conferences” are very popular worldwide for the interdisciplinary exchange. Also the regional institutes for North American, Latin American and Eastern European Studies, as well as the Jewish and Dutch study programs are unique in Germany.
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin – Humboldt University
Berlin’s oldest university, Humboldt has 35,000 students enrolled. Diverse and unique programs, like Gender Studies and Eastern European languages are offered, together with traditional subjects.
Universität der Künste - University of the Arts
Germany’s largest college or university of the arts, its population of around 4,000 students can choose over 30 courses of study. Prestigious professors such as Vivienne Westwood, Loriot, Rebecca Horn, and Wolfgang Boettcher teach in its departments of fine arts, design, music, and performing arts.
Colleges of the Arts
There are three colleges of the arts in Berlin: the academy of music Hochschule für Musik “Hanns Eisler,” the dramatic arts college Hochschule für Schauspielkunst “Ernst Busch” and the college of design Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weißensee/Hochschule für Gestaltung. They have about 1,500 students in total.
Polytechnic institutions of higher education
The seven polytechnic institutions of higher education (Fachhochschulen) in Berlin specialize in different fields: technology, business, administration, social sciences and humanities. They offer a combination of knowledge transfer and technology with R&D focused on current practical challenges faced by small and medium-sized companies. Enrollment totals 30,000 students.
Moving to Berlin and taking your children with you?
There are 878 grammar schools in the city, teaching about 350,000 children. The system works with a six-year primary education program, after which students go either to the Sekundarschule (comprehensive school) or Gymnasium (college preparatory).
Berlin’s bilingual school program, the "Europaschule", includes 29 schools which teach the curriculum both in German and in a foreign language -9 major European languages to choose- both in primary and secondary school. Children of Diplomats and the expat community sometimes attend the John F. Kennedy German-American public school.
Here is a list of all Universities in Berlin:
* Alice-Salomon-Fachhochschule für Sozialarbeit/-pädagogik
* Berlin School of Economics and Law
* Berlin University of the Arts (Universität der Künste Berlin)
* Berufsakademie Berlin
* German Academy for Film and Television Berlin ("DFFB Deutsche Film-und Fernsehakademie Berlin")
* ESCP-EAP Europäische Wirtschaftshochschule Berlin
* ESMT European School of Management and Technology
* European College of Liberal Arts (An English-language higher-educational institution).
* Evangelische Fachhochschule
* Fachhochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin
* Fachhochschule für Verwaltung und Rechtspflege Berlin
* Free University of Berlin (Freie Universität Berlin)
* Hertie School of Governance
* Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler
* Hochschule für Schauspielkunst „Ernst Busch“
* Humboldt University of Berlin (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
* International Business School
* Katholische Fachhochschule
* Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin
* Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weißensee (Hochschule für Gestaltung)
* Mediadesign Hochschule
* OTA private University of applied sciences Berlin (OTA Hochschule Berlin)
* Stanford University Bing Overseas Studies
* Steinbeis-Hochschule Berlin
* Stern'sches Konservatorium
* Technical University of Berlin (Technische Universität Berlin)
* Teikyo University, Berlin campus
* Beuth-Hochschule für Technik Berlin
* Touro College Berlin (Berlin-American Jewish Business school)
For more information about studying and living in Berlin, contact us and we will gladly send you further material about any subject of your interest. We will e-mail this information at no cost within 72 hours and it will be specific to your requirements
As every cosmopolitan city, there is a lot going on in Berlin anytime. If you are in town and feel like enjoying a play, these are the theaters you may want to...
Over 200 commercial and underground art galleries can be found all over the city of Berlin. About 6000 artists and cultural workers gather in this city to set the trends...
For the animal fans, Berlin has two zoos and one aquarium to offer! Together, these three venues make the city home to a very diverse and rare animal...